Walking into a bathroom that is fresh-smelling and extremely clean not only makes you comfortable as you do your business but stamps your confidence in the hygienic conditions of the entire house. Most people engage in house cleaning but overlook shower cleaning yet it is the other area that carries loads of germs, besides the kitchen. However, maintaining high standards of cleanliness can be overwhelming if you do not know the right ingredients to use. Besides, even though you clean your bathroom regularly, it is easy to forget about the shower doors where streaks of soap and scum can remain lodged for long. This article will inform you tips on cleaning shower doors to keep your bathroom free of stains and looking good.
1. Using furniture oil
It is difficult to clean soap scum off your shower doors so why wait for it to accumulate! They say it is better to prevent better than to cure so avoid scum from building up on your shower doors using furniture oil. Furniture oil acts as a barrier preventing scummy buildup so apply it on the door. However, you will need to clean the door first so that the oil can hold. After washing, apply a thin coat of oil and allow it to sit for about two minutes then polish off any excess with a clean, dry cloth. The oil will be a buffer against future scum.
2. Use vinegar and baking soda
If your bathroom has glass shower doors, then vinegar is the best bet as your cleaning solution. Vinegar is acidic, and it is this acidity that helps to clean the dirt thoroughly. Mixing baking soda or sodium bicarbonate with vinegar creates carbonic acid that immediately breaks down into carbon dioxide and water, making it safe.
Here is what you will need:
- Baking soda.
- Scotch Brite.
- Window scrubber (10 inches)
- Window Squeegee (12 inches)
- White vinegar.
- Paper towels.
- Small container
- In a plastic bowl, pour half a cup of baking soda.
- Add enough white vinegar.
- Use a spoon to mix the vinegar and baking soda until it forms a paste-like consistency.
- You will observe fizzing and wait till it stops then scoop up a little of the paste using the Scotch Brite.
- Wipe the paste onto the shower glass door.
- Let the paste sit for about 10-15 minutes then thoroughly clean it using water and the window scrubber. Use the window squeegee and paper towels to dry the door and ensure that you have cleaned all the scum.
3. Using white vinegar
You can also use vinegar alone without baking soda to clean glass shower doors. You will need:
- Water and distilled white vinegar ( equal amounts)
- A spray bottle.
- Paper towels or black and white newspapers
- Use the vinegar and water to make a solution.
- Put it in the spray bottle and spray it on the shower door.
- Use the newspapers or paper towels to clean the grime off the glass.
- Buff the glass clean using clean per towels or a dry cloth.
What happens when the vinegar solution does not remove the stains?
If the stains are stubborn and the towels are not useful, you may use a soft brush. Further, you can cut a lemon in half, apply salt on one cut side of the lemon and in circular motions, use it to remove stubborn hard water marks. You can then use the vinegar solution as above and dry the glass using a clean, dry cloth.
How do you keep the scum off for good?
You do not have to keep scrubbing your doors. Instead, keep your shower doors easy to clean using Rain-X 2-in-1 rain repellent and glass cleaner. Once a week, you can spray it on your doors and wipe it off with a microfiber cloth. It forms a protective film that prevents water from sticking to the door.
The condition of your bathroom speaks volumes and let it communicate positively by keeping your shower doors spotless using these tips.